Not Your Mothers Tuna Casserole.
You can cook Not Your Mothers Tuna Casserole using 12 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Not Your Mothers Tuna Casserole
- It’s 2 tbsp of butter (for rouxe).
- It’s 2 tbsp of flour.
- It’s 4 cup of milk or light cream.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of fresh ground nutmeg.
- You need 1 tsp of salt, optional or to taste.
- It’s 1 pinch of fresh ground pepper.
- You need 2 tbsp of fresh thyme.
- It’s 1 tbsp of butter (for mushrooms).
- You need 2 can of tuna (or 1/2 lb fresh tuna is much better but expensive).
- It’s 1 lb of egg noodles.
- You need 1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs.
- You need 2 lb of baby bella mushrooms, diced small (or mushrooms of your choice).
Not Your Mothers Tuna Casserole step by step
- pre heat oven to 375.
- add butter and flour in a sauce pan. stir over medium low heat until it just starts to brown. be careful, it burns fast!.
- slowly wisk in milk, add salt, pepper, and fresh nutmeg..
- in a saute pan cook the mushrooms in the butter and thyme for 8 to 10 minutes, until all the liquid is out of them. it will significantly reduce..
- cook egg noodles until just under done..
- drain tuna until very dry. break apart any chunks with a fork. (if using fresh tuna, pan sear bite size chunks in a small amount of olive oil for this step).
- once milk mixture thickens to a beshumel (milk sauce) consistency, add mushrooms with all the liquid. if it thins out too much then let it continue to cook until thick again..
- add tuna to milk sauce. stir well. combine with noodles in a baking disk, top with panko bread crumbs. bake until crispy and brown on top..
- tip: if you cook the egg noodles until they are done you can just place the casserole under the broiler for a few minutes but watch it carefully!.
- this recipe is for a home made cream of mushroom soup. you can substitute for canned but once you try it this was you'll NEVER go back! especially with fresh tuna! yum!.
I love Cooking… I am Professional Chef…