Feast of Seven Fishes I – Scallops Summer Rolls.
You can have Feast of Seven Fishes I – Scallops Summer Rolls using 23 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Feast of Seven Fishes I – Scallops Summer Rolls
- Prepare of Chili Caviar:.
- It’s of Canola / Grapeseed / Peanut Sunflower Oil, For Spherification.
- You need 50 g of Gochujang / Sambal,.
- You need 100 g of Water,.
- It’s 2 g of Agar Agar Powder,.
- You need of Roast:.
- You need 2 of Kiwi (without any hair) Thinly Sliced,.
- It’s of Basil Leaves, 12 Large.
- You need of Canola / Grapeseed / Peanut Sunflower Oil, For Dipping.
- You need of Carrot Puree:.
- You need of Carrot Corasely Slice, 1 Large.
- Prepare 1 Liter of Vegetable Stock,.
- You need 2 TBSP of Olive Oil,.
- It’s Pinch of Sea Salt,.
- Prepare Pinch of White Pepper,.
- It’s of Scallops:.
- It’s 12 of Scallops,.
- You need Pinch of Sea Salt,.
- It’s Pinch of Ras el Hanout,.
- It’s of Canola / Grapeseed / Peanut Sunflower Oil, For Searing.
- Prepare 2 TBSP of Ghee,.
- You need Pinch of Nori Flakes,.
- You need 4 Pieces of Vietnamese Rice Paper,.
Feast of Seven Fishes I – Scallops Summer Rolls step by step
- Prepare the chili caviar. Transfer oil into a tall cylindrical bottle and chill in the fridge overnight or in a freezer for at least 2 hrs. In a sauce pot, add chili paste, water and agar agar. Stir to combine well. Turn the heat up to medium-high..
- Bring it up to a boil. Allow it to boil for 2 mins. Remove from heat and immediately, use a syringe to suck up the coffee mixture or transfer it into a squeeze bottle. Slowly drip the chili mixture into the bottle of cold oil. Repeat this step for the remaining chili..
- If the chili starts to cool down, heat up the chili over the stove and repeat the process. Make sure the chili paste that you are using is a smooth paste.* Drain thru' a sieve over a large bowl. *You can reuse the oil.*.
- Plunge the chili caviar into a bowl of clean water to wash excess oil. Remove and plunge into another bowl of clean water. Repeat the steps until the water is clean of oil. Set the sieve of chili caviar to drain off any excess water. Keep in a container and chill in the fridge until ready to use. *It can keep up to 7 days.*.
- Prepare the roast. Preheat oven to 150 degree celsius or 300 fahrenheit. Lay the sliced kiwi on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Dredge the basil leaves with oil and lay on the same baking tray. *You can place another piece of parchment paper over the kiwi and basil, place some weight on top to prevent the leaves and kiwi from curling during baking process.*.
- But if you are like me. who prefer a rustic look, you can skip the steps. Wack into the oven and bake for 25 to 30 mins or until the kiwi is dry and curled, the basil leaves are crisp. Remove from the oven and set aside..
- Prepare the carrot puree. In a sauce pot over medium heat, add carrots and vegetable stock. Bring the stock to a boil. Boil until the carrots are fork-tender. Transfer the carrots into a blender..
- Add just enuff stock to get the blender blitzing. Add in olive oil. Blitz until smooth. Taste and adjust for seasonings with salt and pepper. Give it a final blitz..
- Place a bowl over another bowl of ice. *This step will prevent the puree from separating.* Transfer the carrot puree into the bowl thru' a fine sieve. Transfer into a squeeze bottle and keep chill until ready to use..
- Prepare the scallops. Season the scallops well with salt and ras el hanout. In a skillet over medium-high heat, add oil. Heat the oil to the smoking point. In a bowl, mix in ghee and nori flakes. Place in the scallops..
- There is a large and small side of a scallop. Always sear the larger side 1st. Sear the scallops in batches. Do not crowd the skillet.* Tilt the skillet and baste the scallops with the hot oil. Keep basting until the bottom is browned..
- Flip and add in the ghee mixture. Tilt the skillet and continue basting with all the liquid. Remove from heat and set aside on a plate lined with parchment paper to drain off any excess oil..
- Repeat the process for the remaining scallops. In the same skillet, add about 1/2 inch of oil. Deglaze and bring the oil to the smoking point. Gently lay a rice paper..
- It will crisp up within seconds. Remove from heat and drain off excess oil on a wire cooling rack or on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Repeat the steps for the remaining rice paper..
- To assemble. Place the rice paper on serving plates. Squeeze 3 dollops of carrot puree onto the paper. Place scallops onto the puree. Lay kiwi and basil leaf, 1 of each, over the scallops. Sprinkle the chili caviar over the top. Serve immediately..
- You can watch the recipe video: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CHfWHmwF3Vs/.
I love Cooking… I am Professional Chef…