You can cook Spanish Paella using 21 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Spanish Paella
- Prepare 8 of chicken thighs (small-medium).
- You need 2 tsp of dry thyme.
- It’s 2 tsp of paprika.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground pepper.
- It’s 5 tbs of olive oil.
- You need 1 lb of Spanish chorizo sausage.
- Prepare 1 of red onion (large), chopped.
- You need 1 of red bell pepper, seeded, cut into 1” pieces.
- You need 4 of garlic cloves, crushed.
- You need 1 can (16 oz.) of crushed tomatoes, drained.
- You need 1/2 tsp of coriander powder.
- Prepare 2 cups of Spanish rice, short-medium grain.
- Prepare 1 tsp of saffron threads (it’s expensive, but key!).
- It’s 3 1/2 cups of chicken stock (warm).
- You need 16 of raw medium shrimp, peeled with tails on.
- It’s 10 oz. of firm fish fillet, sliced into 1” pieces.
- Prepare 12 of mussels or small-medium clams, cleaned.
- Prepare 1 cup of sweet peas (frozen), thawed @ room temp.
- It’s 1/2 cup of fresh parsley, coarsely chopped.
- You need 2 of lemons, (1 for juice, 1 for garnish for the plates).
Spanish Paella step by step
- Plate chicken thighs and sprinkle thyme, paprika, salt, & pepper on both sides and let stand for about 10 minutes..
- Heat the olive oil in a paella pan (or very large fry pan) over medium heat. Place chicken in the pan and brown on both sides for 5 minutes per side. Turn the chicken over again, and add the chorizo sausage..
- Brown both sides of chicken and sausage for 4 minutes per side. When the oil begins to turn a mild reddish color, remove the chicken and sausage to a platter..
- Lower the heat (medium-low) and sauté onion and bell pepper for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, cook until the mixture thickens a bit and the flavors begin to meld. Season lightly with salt & pepper and coriander..
- Fold in the rice with a spoon, stirring to coat the grains. Sprinkle the saffron threads into the rice. Pour in the chicken stock, simmer for 10 minutes. Rotate the pan around the heat so that the rice cooks evenly and starts to absorb the liquids. [Do not cover or stir].
- Add the shrimp and fish evenly around the pan. Next add the chicken and the sausage (sliced 1/2”). Gently fold all of the pan pieces together with a large spoon, turning the mixture over a 3-4 times..
- Place the mussels (or clams) evenly around the pan. Let this simmer without stirring, until the rice is al dente, about 15 minutes..
- Scatter the thawed peas on top, continue to cook for 5 minutes. Cover the pan (with a round pizza pan) until the paella looks fluffy and moist and the mussels have opened..
- Uncover the pan and drizzle squeezed lemon juice over the paella. Remove any un-opened mussels (or clams). Take the pan off of the heat and allow it to rest for a few minutes and garnish the top with chopped parsley..
- Bring the pan to the table served warm using a large spoon to serve. Use lemon wedges on the plates for a garnish. Serve with home-made Sangria (yes!) or your favorite beverage..
I love Cooking… I am Professional Chef…